I have mentioned my intense, imaginary, non-sexual love affair with Final Girl. She share my immense affection with Liz at And You Call Yourself a Scientist.
Anyway, right here I mentioned one of her (Ms. Ponder, not Ms. Kingsley) posts here wherein she was introducing us to other horror movie blogger types' sites by asking a series of questions about their blogs.
Well, I wasn't able to participate (and thus far I haven't been able to join her Film Club either drat it) because this site is more general interest (and Buffy, Buffy, Buffy) rather than horror-movie-centric. It's okay - it's not like I feel left out or anything... no really... I'm fine....
Harrumph - Anyway, it suddenly occurred to me that I need something to post or you'd all miss me and be heartbroken by my lack of attention, so I'm going to answer the Bloggenaire's Question & Answer Poll. And, I think you should, too... and then give Stacie and Liz the frickin' clicky-love:
1) What's the key moment that led you to click that "Start Your Blog" button?
The main reason I started the blog to begin with was to review the BTVS Series. I also wanted someplace where I could post my spanderverse series, because FF.net was really pissing me off by screwing around with their formatting, making my stories harder to read, just from the strain on the eyes.
Well - we've seen how well the Buffy reviews are going (still on S1...!), but I did get the spanderverse stuff done. Although, I discovered communities after joining, so that's where the fiction ended up instead. Very quickly, though, the blog expanded to just general ol' rambling - like this here answer.
2) Please describe your blog in no more than 3 sentences. You must include the words / phrases "morbid", "aesthetic", and "electromagnetic".
My blog is a general interest, but mostly Buffyverse-centric site with a morbid fascination for political or social views which piss me off. I would describe my general aesthetic as 'haphazard and random' with a semi-gay bent - but since I'm a wonderful guy, it's okay. I wish my site was more electromagnetic - I'd use the energy beams to take over people's minds and force them to recommend my every utterance as necessary reading.
3) Bearing in mind that opinions are subjective (except mine because I'm always right), do you enjoy movies that are generally considered "bad"? Why or why not?
But, wait! I'm always right! Are we linked at the brain or are you just a big ol' liar gal?!
What was the question? Oh, right!
In general I don't like 'bad movies' ... and by bad I mean 'really bad', not 'b-movie bad'. For instance, I like "Cult of the Cobra", even though it is a solidly B, not very good film (And how many years did I ignore B & W films as being automatically junkie? Oh, the shame!), but I would rather lose my DVD player then be subjected to Howling III again which I found ridiculous and highly boring.
So - B-Movies? Wonderful. Bad Movies? I'll pass.
4) Did you know that there exists one variety of carnivorous parrot? It's true. They live in the mountains of New Zealand, and they eat the fat surrounding the kidneys of sheep- WHILE THE SHEEP ARE ALIVE. It's horrible.
I did not know this until I came to Final Girl. I think I could have dealt with not knowing this. I think sheep got a raw deal - shouldn't they have advanced chameleon abilities or acid-spit or something to give them a fighting chance?
5) What's the one- ONE- horror movie you love so much you want to stick it down your pants?
The 1978- Dawn of the Dead ...
Except, you know, for that thing where my valuable parts would be within biting distance of zombies.
6) Adrienne Barbeau. Discuss.
She is fabulous. I loved her in Maude, I kind of had a platonic crush on her in The Fog & Escape from New York (both of which I'll eventually be reviewing) and I think she was the best element in Creepshow.
Don't bother trying to tell me any differently - I will not listen.
7) Why should people bother to read your blog?
Because, in my own delusional world I am insightful and clever and have sparkling wit. And God-powers, which I'm not shy about using to smite those who disobey.
And, also, because I can introduce you to new, cool sites like Final Girl and And You Call Yourself a Scientist.
8) Where does Jigsaw get all the money he needs to build all those traps and buy all that warehouse space? Better yet, does he have some sort of engineering background? He must, right, if he designs all that crap?
I'm not into the Saw franchise, at all, but my belief is that he has patents on all of those death-trap designs. Perhaps, even government contracts with the CIA and DoD.
9) Several theories regarding the reasons why people would subject themselves to watching horror films (when they're so, you know, traumatic) exist. Which is closest in line with your feelings on and reactions to the genre? Feel free to elaborate. Or don't, see if I care.
a) RELIEF THEORY: The unpleasant feelings of distress cause more stimulating feelings of relief when the unpleasantness passes- the stressed arousal caused by fear becomes pleasurable arousal later on.
b) CONTINUOUS REWARD: The excitement felt during the film is the appeal in and of itself.
c) SOCIAL THEORIES:
1) Stereotypical gender roles are reinforced: men act as protectors, women need protection.
2) Violating social norms- watching "deviant" entertainment- is exciting.
3) Experiencing heightened emotions with others makes us feel like we "belong" and we're truly part of a group.
Well, a and b definitely apply to me. C1 - not so much... after all, don't we love our Final Girls? C2 - maybe a little bit, but I don't think that is a motivating factor ... of course, since I see the younger generations as more psychopathic, maybe that is a bit too relevant these days (Hey! You! Get off the lawn!). C3- Definitely not in my case. I'd much rather curl up by myself on the sofa and watch these movies alone.
10) Which year produced better horror movies: 1977 or 1981? Why?
You know, I'm more into the suspense horror of the 70's than the slashers of the 80's, so I'll default to 1977.
11) What the eff is up with those French and their crazy horror flicks?
Yeah... uh... I... sort of haven't... I mean... uh... see, this is why I run a horror-centric film site.
12) What's your favorite Animals Run Amok movie?
JAWS. There is no contest.
13) If Jason Voorhees is on a train heading east at 80mph and Leatherface is on a train heading west at 65mph…why the hell would anyone ever watch Rob Zombie's Halloween?
That would be snark, wouldn't it?
I don't know - I really don't bother with remakes that often.
14) What are your funereal wishes?
Cremation and something simple... like subjecting everyone I've ever known to a Buffy marathon in my memory - alcohol optional.
15) Why do I have such a fondness for Shelley Hack? It's not like she's really done much to deserve it, but there it is.
She just has that sort of magnetism. Plus she did good work in The Stepfather and Terry O'Quinn spread his awesome to everyone around him, including her.
16) You're on a sinking ghost ship that's being piloted by a witch. What are your last words?
*looking up at sky* "This really fucking sucks! Why do you hate me?!"
17) Asking about your funereal wishes and your last words means nothing, I swear.
W-well, I didn't think it did... until now. *shoots glances full of suspicion*
18) Do you know where I can get some lye?
I do not. *glaring suspiciously now as starts to back away*
19) Weren't you glad when THAT JERK in THAT HORROR MOVIE got what was coming to him?
You know what? I really kinda was. Does that make me a sociopath? Would it make any difference if I would have been much less happy had THAT JERK dropped trou before making his exit?
20) Overall, what’s your favorite era of horror films?
The 70's, Baby!
21) Would you rather be:
1) a vampire
2) a witch/warlock
3) a werewolf
4) a Frankenstein (and yes, I know technically it’s “Frankenstein’s monster” but “a Frankenstein” sounds better)
5) a Jaws
Well, I'm still working on those electromagnetic mind control rays, but I guess I'd go with the Warlock-powers. Even though I'll be thwarted by some lame dagger, or necklace, or long lost relative I should have killed off to avoid some great "you'll be destroyed" Prophecy from being fulfilled.
22) If you could turn back time- if you could find a way- would you take back those words that hurt me, so I’d stay?
Of course I would - but only if I don't have my mind control powers mastered first....
23) What's something you want people to know about you or your blog that I didn't ask?
Everyone should friend me. It's what the cool people do!
Okay, guys - Your turn... let's make this a Meme!